叠词是中文中的一类特色词,特别是用到诗句中更显得文采飞扬、诗意盎然。比如“寻寻觅觅,冷冷清清,凄凄惨惨戚戚”这一句一念起来,就画面感十足,美到不行。除了中文之外,英语中也有很多使用地道的英语叠词。

blah blah
用于代表无聊乏味的讲话

  • Oh blah blah blah – I’ve heard it all before!
    嗯,哇啦哇啦说了一大堆——都是我以前听过的!

drip-drip
雨水声,一点点
形容坏事缓慢发生的过程

  • the drip-drip of bad news
    一点点发布的坏消息。
  • a steady drip-drip from the branches of the trees.
    不断从树木的树枝上往下滴水之声
  • Small independently-owned shops are disappearing with the steady drip, drip, drip.
    个体小商店正渐渐消失。

chop-chop
快,赶快

  • Come on, chop-chop, we’re late!
    快,赶快,我们要迟到了!
  • Come on, chop-chop! Speed up.
    来啊,快点!加快速度!

goody-goody
伪善的人/老好人

  • He‘s a bit of a goody-goody.
    他是个老好人。

pooh-pooh
对…不屑一顾,蔑视

  • I think you might pooh-pooh this idea.
    我觉得你可能会对这个主意嗤之以鼻。

fifty-fifty
对半(的);平分(的)

  • Let’s divide the prize fifty-fifty.
    咱们平分奖金吧。
  • Why don’t we go fifty-fifty?
    要不我们对半分吧。
  • There’s a fifty-fifty chance you are right.
    有50%的可能性你是对的。

hush-hush
嘘声,秘密的

  • In the end he was forced to resign but it was all very hush-hush.
    最后他被迫辞职,但这些全是秘密发生的。
  • This matter is hush-hush.
    这件事要谨慎保密。
  • You don’t want to hush-hush his scandal to me.
    你别想对我隐瞒他的丑事。

win-win
双赢

  • We are trying to establish a win-win relationship.
    我们努力建立一种双赢的关系。
  • Free trade is not always a win-win situation.
    自由贸易并非总是双赢局面。

no-no
禁忌

  • In the United States, asking the age of a lady is a big no-no.
    在美国,问一位女士的年龄是一件绝对禁忌的事情。
  • We all know that cheating on our taxes is a no-no.
    我们都知道偷税漏税是绝对不行的。

so-so
马马虎虎,不好不坏的

  • Their lunch was only so-so.
    他们的午餐只能算是凑合凑合。
  • Although you spoke highly of the film, I just feel it’s so-so.
    不管你怎么夸耀那部影片,我还是觉得它一般般。

go-go
活跃的;快速增长的

  • He’s a go-go person.
    他是个十分活跃的人。
  • the go-go years of the early 21st century
    21世纪初的那个奔腾年代
  • 微信或QQ扫一扫